Surprisingly I am surviving the withdrawal from my San Juan Salsa Co. tortilla chip and salsa addiction without to terrible side affects. It’s almost like I’ve quit cold turkey except for the fact that my diet still comprises of a few corn tortillas a weeks. Imagine a typical corn tortilla, only smaller and thicker. Definitely blander BUT everywhere you go in Santiago and the surrounding Atitlan region women are clapping and pumping out thousands if NOT millions of fresh tortillas during all waking hours. The two other most common foods in the region are deep fried chicken and French fries prepared on a cart in the street. After two weeks straight of fried chicken every day, if not multiple times in one day, I am discovering a diet a local fruits and veggies is most satisfying of all – leaving little to be desired beyond occasionally finding myself daydreaming about San Juan Salsa Co..
What’s has been most unusual about this week has been waking up – wide awake – every morning just before 7 a.m. Sometimes it’s the pleasantries of sparrow’s song, a falling avocado on my roof or a faintly distant passenger boat engines roar. Other times it’s a pack of what sounds like 15 dogs barking incessantly. No me gusta. I get the feeling they have terrible owners for every other stray and cachetic dog wondering aimlessly around town is fearful of their own tail. None the less, its feels great to spring to life every morning ambitious and well rested.
Each day I start my day of Volunteering at Hospitalito Atitlan. I have been working with Tono aka Antonio in the hospital’s supply bodega. The hospital is still slowly transitioning into their new space after its construction completion December 2010. My daily tasks have involved physically moving ever shelving unit and piece of medical supply acquired through donations into its new 2nd floor location.
No comments:
Post a Comment